metatag

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Just when I was feeling better...

I was happy when Obama seemed to decide that it's time to fight. I was happy when DADT was finally (after far too long) ended. And then.....

We once again stake our claim to be among the most barbaric nations in the world. I am extremely anti-death penalty. Even in the case of Timothy McVeigh, who deserved it if anyone did, I did and do not feel that the state has the right to murder one of its citizens. That said, if you're going to kill someone, at least make sure you've got the right person. I would say there is less than a 20% chance that the state of Georgia had the right person when they executed Troy Davis tonight. All but two of the witnesses against him have recanted their testimony. Several jury members have stated that they would note have voted for the death penalty had they known of the evidence that is now available. There was no forensic evidence presented at the trial. One of the two witnesses that didn't recant is and has been a suspect in the murder and he allegedly confessed informally recently.

Our system says to be convicted of a crime you must be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. For the state to actually murder someone this must be at least the standard. The Davis execution does not reach that standard. The state of Georgia and, by extension, the United States of America should be ashamed tonight.

I know I am.

No comments: