metatag

Monday, January 27, 2014

The Only Punchline You'll Ever Need

Many years ago, when the world was young, the Mission Man and I were in an improv comedy troupe. It was fun for awhile. People laughed and laughed. We had hopes of it flourishing. And probably dreams of fortune and fame, too...

Then one night, in Chandler as I recall, it was so not fun that we never did it again. Ever.

Anyway, the point is, as Edmund Kean remarked on his deathbed, "dying is easy--comedy is hard."

This is as true today as it was then. Perhaps even more so.

But, if you have a surefire punchline, it gets easier.

So, as a public service, I give you the only punchline you'll ever need:

"So then I shot him."

Works with every set up:

Guy was texting in a movie theatre--

Guy looked threatening--

Guy knocked on my door late one night--

Guy cut me off in traffic--

Guy was talking too loud--

Guy hopped my fence--

Guy was running away from me--

Guy was sure the gun was empty--

And even though we live in a "post racial" society, there's always the old reliable, Guy was black--

Feel free to substitute "girl" or "child" for "guy" as the situation warrants.

No comments: