metatag

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Which Obama are we seeing?

It may just be the beginning of his campaign, or he might really mean what he's been saying the last few days. I don't know. I do know that I've been very disturbed by President Obama's seeming lack of desire to follow through on his campaign promises from a couple of years ago, so right now I'm tending to lean away from giving him much credibility. However, I could be wrong. I certainly hope I am.

Since his speech at GWU last week where he absolutely delivered a public spanking to the GOP and its budget guru Paul Ryan, President Obama has come out and started to articulate what most Democrats feel they stand for, without worrying about what those nasty Republicans might say about him. Perhaps this is due to the fact that polls show that the American public overwhelmingly rejects the GOP-Ryan plan to destroy most of what has made this country great over the past 75 years -- I don't know. It very well could be the fact that the President realizes that his base is rapidly losing interest in working very hard for him in the next 19 months. I don't know.

What I do know is that the President needs to continue this fight. Whether Donald Trump, Michele Bachmann, Sarah Palin and all the complete idiots on the far-out fringe of the right wing believe he was born in this country shouldn't matter to him. The right wing of the Republican party is not going to support anything he says or does, so I still can't figure out why he keeps trying to win them over. It's a losing battle, and Obama is smarter than that. That's why I hope that he has actually made a decision to fight for what he says he believes in -- you know, the same things that the people who contributed roughly $750 million and knocked on thousands of doors and made millions of phone calls to get him elected believe in.

The latest polls show that roughly 75% of the American public believes the President's stance on Medicare and Medicaid is the right way to go. Yet, his approval rating has dropped below his disapproval rating in the same polls. I believe this is because in the first two years of his Presidency, candidate Obama has disappeared while milquetoast "I must cooperate with people who hate me" President Obama has been in control. I am praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that this new Obama is the one I campaigned and voted for. If not, I freakin' give up.....

No comments: