metatag

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Better off dead?

For a few days now I've been trying to process how I feel about the death of Osama bin Laden. On the one hand, I feel some satisfaction over the death of the terrorist responsible for changing our country on 9/11. On the other hand, I've been thinking that I would have preferred to see him captured and tried for crimes against humanity, combined with the fact that I refuse to celebrate the death of any human, no matter how vile. Add into that the apparent fact that he was unarmed, thus possibly summarily executed, and it makes me wonder if OBL did not succeed in making us lose an irreplaceable bit of our humanity.

With that said, I want to direct your attention to a blog that sums up what I'm feeling in a rather brilliant manner. It's called The Corner Tavern, written by a Chicago blogger named Dave von Ebers and it saves me about 1500 words. I also want to bring you a video from Bruce off the Live in Barcelona DVD that I find appropriate. Usually I ask you to enjoy the videos, but right now that seems like the wrong thing to say. Instead, I'd like to ask you to just watch and think about it.

No comments: