metatag

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Sane Republican?

The more time I spend watching the GOP debates and hearing the candidates speak, the happier I become. Seriously, does anyone actually think that Rick Santorum or the other Rick, Mr. Perry, one of the dumbest men in the history of the state of Texas, could really become the President of the United States?

That said, I've been watching the coverage of the New Hampshire primary tonight. While I have very few positive things to say about Republicans as an entity, I am grateful to them for one thing. There is no chance in hell that they will make Jon Huntsman their candidate.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Jon Huntsman. He has some policy ideas that I find disgusting, but he seems at least to be able to hold in his head the idea that Republicans and Democrats can work together to solve the problems this nation is facing. Obviously, this is a stance that the modern GOP finds anathema.

Let's go for Mitt! Hooray for Newt! Rick Perry, the greatest thing since sliced bread (actually, the loaf of sliced bread may be smarter than Rick)! Rick Santorum, who will surely deliver us from the heathen gays!

The only one that scares me in his possible ability to draw enough voters to defeat President Obama is Jon Huntsman. After watching his New Hampshire speech tonight, I'm even more confirmed in that belief. You see, he actually has a brain -- that seems to be a disqualifying attribute among Republican voters these days.

That's why I am so, so happy that there isn't a chance in hell that he will win the GOP nomination.

No comments: