metatag

Friday, March 18, 2011

Friday night video

I saw Leonard Cohen back in the early 70s when I was still in my teens. I did not develop at that time the appreciation that later came. I always remembered the song "Suzanne", but that was really about it. I was certainly not aware that he was an accomplished novelist and poet -- to me he was just another Canadian singer-songwriter. Damn, was I ever wrong.

When Atom Egoyan's film "Exotica" came out, this song knocked me over. I actually went out and bought the soundtrack for the movie, only to be disappointed that the song wasn't included -- it turned out alright for me though, because I was then forced to purchase both the movie and the original Cohen CD. Written for the 1988 album "I'm Your Man", it talks about the society of the 80s -- the Reagan Revolution, the AIDS crisis, and a love gone bad to be more specific.

In my opinion, this song is possibly more relevant now than it was 23 years ago. This version is from London at the O2 Arena in London in 2008, and it's incredible. Great 12-string guitar work, along with Bob Metzgar's wonderful pedal steel.

Listen here to "Everybody Knows" and please let me know your thoughts about my all-time favorite Leonard Cohen song.

No comments: