metatag

Monday, March 14, 2011

Yet another Be Bop Deluxe video

As I said the other day, I really wanted a lot of you to see who Bill Nelson and Be Bop Deluxe are. I've been trying to figure out why this band never got any bigger than it did. I think it really comes down to two things. First, they seemed too much like David Bowie. I would disagree with that, although I do hear similarities. Then again, I hear similarities between many, many bands and that has never seemed to stop any particular band from getting big or well-known and popular.

The second and more important reason in my opinion is that the punk movement hit and really eliminated the possibility of any band playing glam, or progressive rock, from really exploding if they weren't already known. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of punk. The Clash is one of the greatest bands ever, but I really wish that the punk explosion hadn't ended the careers of a lot of really, really great bands. 10CC is another that suffered from this change in music.

At any rate, here's another Be Bop Deluxe song, from their third LP, "Sunburst Finish". This is "Fair Exchange". Tomorrow I'm going to post a song from the last Be Bop Deluxe LP and then I'll look at something else, but for now enjoy! And after you listen to this, seriously, can you tell me that Bill Nelson is not a great, great guitar player? I don't think so.... :)

No comments: